Many sales people have the will to win – but do they have the will to prepare? It is very easy to forget how to sell and enter the world of “winging it”. This is a sure sign that complacency is going to set in with a major “cock up” looming just around the corner.
WP continuously draws comparisons with the sports world – in particular the gym. The “Sales Gym’ is all about preparation and getting ready for the customer interaction. Don’t ever turn up without having worked out in the “Gym”.
- Do you know why you are turning up to a customer or phoning them – have you defined the purpose?
- Getting ready for the meeting can be viewed in terms of the 3P’s
Purpose – why am I there?
Process – What am I going to say?
Pay off – Is there something in it for them and us?
- Don’t forget the supporting materials you may need – catalogues, case studies, fact sheets, something to leave – don’t be fumbling around, have it to hand.
- Have you got any information on the customer, what they may want, history or past dealings.
- Are you ready for the any objections that they may have? What will you say if they are raised?
- Have you thought about their “World” – what is important to them? Have you considered the hot spots and button pressing phrases that will connect?
- Have you prepared the pitch and are you ready to deliver it with conviction and passion – remember the Features, Benefits, Impact and Evidence model.
- Do you know who you are going to meet or have you had the chance to speak to them over the phone before the meeting?
- The opportunity of a brief chat before a more formal meeting provides a reference point and helps you to build that initial rapport.
- The meeting or phone call, first thing is SMILE, you have a short period of time to build trust, establish rapport and build credibility. The more you have worked out in the “Sales Gym” the better your chances of success.