Successful presentations are often an integral component of winning a new piece of business. The ability to structure and deliver a well thought through presentation is a skill that many great business developers have acquired.
- Preparation is the key – Ask yourself and consider the messages that you want to get across. If you are prepared then you are well on your way to giving a great presentation.
- Be sure that you know the audience and think about your presentation from their point of view – what do they want to hear and why are they there?
- Have a clear opening line or introduction that pitches in a nutshell what you are going to tell them.
- Mentally prepare and get yourself into the “Pitching Zone” – positive self talk, visualise a satisfied audience, and tell yourself it is going to be great!
- Before you get up, breathe in and out slowly and deeply – it’s great to have nerves.
- The second you stand up REMEMBER its about them and not you! Self-conscious presenters are the ones that fail to hit the mark.
- Remember to smile and adopt open body language. Make the audience your friend they WANT you to succeed.
- Your presentation should have a beginning, a middle and an end – like any great show – deliver your message with passion – BE YOURSELF!
- Project your voice and use gestures that emphasise the words you are using – Think of yourself in conversation with the audience.
- Look for friendly faces in the audience – to your left, centre and right – they become the reference point to addressing the whole group.